Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gluten Free We: Days 3 & 4

I didn't do a ton of research specifically about going gluten free, but I did do some. I found the Gluten Free Goddess's posts on getting started and how to go gluten free were super helpful, as was Amy's post about why her and her DH went gluten free.

Ben and I have been talking about buying a juicer for a long time, but I've always thought they were too expensive and too big for us to store when we eventually jumped off the juicing band wagon. However, considering 2012 is the year for actually getting in shape (and for making a baby, but more on that later), I thought it would be a great tool for our overall health. So, Ben lucked out and got one at his store. On Sunday we took this sucker home:


On Sunday night, while floating on a healthy high after a produce filled, gluten free shopping trip at Whole Foods we decided to check out the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" which had been popping up all over my Facebook feed for weeks. It's all about juicing! Ha! Go figure, we jump on a big trend without even meaning to! It was a very well done documentary and really interesting and eye opening. We're not going to juice fast for 30 days or anything, but we may do a modified juice cleanse next week. However, the health benefits of consuming a plate full of vegetables in one sitting are amazing and I'm excited we have this fun new tool!

Ok, now onto day three: I still had to work, but was ready for some yummy juice and my new favorite treat: my buckwheat waffle! I was feeling my third day of work in a row, and where I would usually treat myself to a latte or mocha, I decided to change it up with a trip to the whole food market at work and got some local blackberry juice and some "Food Should Taste Good" sweet potato chips. Such a yummy treat!

It was more GF chicken noodle soup and some tangerines for lunch, with a brown rice cake and a piece of lactose-free cheese for a late snack. I also snagged a "Kind" bar from Starbucks when I was getting a gift card for a coworker, it was yummy! 

That night we had to pick Ben's sister up from the airport and we decided to attempt our first meal out. We choose mexican, knowing we could have corn tortillas and just skip the cheese and sour cream. Unfortunately, the restaurant we choose was a big, fat failure and we were considerably underwhelmed with our dinner - but it had nothing to do with the lack of cheese or gluten!

Today was day four and it has been my favorite yet, but mostly because I was off work and got to spend the whole day with this guy:



Ben is having a recording weekend with his band this weekend, and I was bummed to not get to spend a whole day with him, so he sweetly offered to go with me to my two appointments this morning. I love this guy! 

He even made me breakfast and it was my favorite juice yet:

1/2 Naval orange
2 Cutie Tangerines
1/2 Granny Smith Apple
1 cup Spinach

Mmmm!

Instead of a date night, we had a date lunch and had some delicious sushi! This proved to be a bit difficult however, because soy sauce has wheat in it, and my go-to roll (Tempura shrimp roll) is coated with flour! Oh well, we improvised and thoroughly enjoyed our meal!

After a little shopping and driving through the country we made it home just in time for another juice. This one was a little more savory, but still very good!

1/2 Beefsteak Tomato
3 Cherry Tomatoes
3 stalks Celery
3 Carrots
1/4 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 cup Spinach
1/2 cup Kale
few sprigs Cilantro

We had honey-mustard chicken with broccoli and sauteed kale for dinner while we watched "Forks over Knives" which was good, but not as well done as "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."

I had a pretty strong hankering for some dessert tonight, but I think it was out of habit more than anything. I've also noticed a more hollow (not hungry) feeling after a dinner without carbs, which must be my body just being in shock but that's just something I've got to get used to!



No comments:

Post a Comment