Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Happy Birthday HD

It's hard to believe, but my cousin's little baby is almost one! One of my most cherished memories was visiting with him and his family when he was only 3 months old. It was a bittersweet time for my whole family, as we excitedly welcomed Hudson into the world and very sadly said goodbye to my sweet Grandma Clara. It was a blessing for us that she was able to meet her newest great-grandbaby before she left this world and I believe meeting him was what gave her peace and the ability to say goodbye to the life and family she loved so much.

On our trip down for the memorial service, Ben was able to bond with the whole family on my Dad's side (there's only about 15 of us!) for the first time (other than at the wedding) and he also held a baby for the first time. My husband is completely, absolutely, 100% not interested in babies. He has no desire to hold then, kiss them or cuddle them. None. Zilch. Nada. However, not surprisingly, after a few days with perfect baby Hudson and his big sister Riley, he was in love.
How could you not fall in love with those baby dimples?!? (I like both sets!)

(Sorry this is sideways) They did this until Ben was totally out of breath!

We left California with bittersweet memories, and a car full of my grandma's card making stuff. My grandma would make cards for EVERYONE she loved for EVERY holiday. Most days you could find her buried somewhere in the back card room lovingly creating a special card for someone. She took such joy in using her free time to make something for her friends and family. I cherish every card I received from her. I have a few tucked away in a special place and they always serve to remind me how loved and blessed I am. They also help me to remember to count my blessings for the wonderful family I have.

I'm definitely not as diligent or organized enough to make cards for every holiday, but I do manage a few special ones every now and again, and it makes me really happy to sit down and create a little something for someone I love.


I'll send Hudson's card out tomorrow, with a $1 bill folded inside, just like grandma always did.

...Mrs. G



No comments:

Post a Comment